Fall is arguably the best time of the year for outdoor activities in Kentucky and we have put together a list of area events that celebrate both fall and Halloween. You can always see a complete list of outdoor events on the calendar page of our website.
- Oct 27 – Black Cat Chase 5K – Frankfort, KY – Join over 1,500 fellow runners as you ring in Halloween with an evening 5K in Frankfort. This is a fantastic course that runs from the Old Capital building to the New Capital and back. Lots of Halloween themed festivities such as costumes, a pumpkin decorating contest, Halloween music, and more. This is a fun event for the entire family.
- Oct 28 – Autumn Colors Hike at Mammoth Cave – Mammoth Cave, KY – Join a naturalist at Nolin Lake State Park for a free hike that focuses on autumn colors. Participants will learn all about how nature responds to the changing of seasons and will get to view the beautiful autumn colors. The hike starts at 10 a.m. (CST) and will depart from Brier Creek Trailhead in Nolin Lake State Park.
- Oct 28 – Spooky Underground Cavern Glow SUP – Red River Gorge, KY – SUP Kentucky and Explorer Chick present this women only, Halloween version of The Underground Cavern Glow. It’s a one hour long guided trip through an abandoned mine where you’ll work your way through tunnels by the light of your headlamp. Guides will work to educate you about the types of rock throughout the mine and the uses of the rocks. The mine is around 55 degrees so you’ll want to dress accordingly. All equipment needed is provided including paddleboard, helmet, life jacket, paddles, headlamp, and LED underwater board lights.
- Oct 28 – Trail’s End Open House at Floracliff – Lexington, KY – Floracliff and the Kentucky Heritage Land Conservation Fund are celebrating the Trail’s End addition to Floracliff Nature Sanctuary. Multiple guided hikes will be offered in the morning and afternoon as well as other programs and activities in and around the Trail’s End Lodge. Hikes will be limited and registration sheets will be available on site.
- Oct 28 – Halloween Walk with the Animals – Frankfort, KY – This trick-or-treat event will take place at the Salato Wildlife Education Center in Frankfort. Kids can dress up in their best Halloween attire to take a walk on the wild side. They will receive a treat bag and a passport which they will take to each of the animal booths where they will receive a treat and meet the animals. They will also enjoy a hay maze, face painting, photo booth, and a fishing booth.
- Oct 28 – Haunted Mine Boat Tour – Red River Gorge, KY – Join Thrillsville Adventure Park and SUP Kentucky on a boat ride through the Gorge Grotto as the Grim Reapers from SUP Kentucky chase you through the haunted passageways.
- Oct 28 – Hike at Lower Howard’s Creek – Winchester, KY – This is the day for young hikers to visit Lower Howard’s Creek as a scavenger hunt will be held along the John Holder Trail. This will be a fun way for kids of all ages to learn about their natural environment while soaking up interesting tidbits from a trained guide.